Manuka is a bushy plant that grows wildly all over New Zealand. It's scientific name is Leptospermum Scoparium and it is sometimes known as New Zealand Tea Tree.
The process of making Manuka Oils involves steam distilling the leaves and stems of the plant to produce Manuka essential oil. The oil has proven to be an effective antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory.
Research has confirmed that Manuka Oils have higher antibacterial and antifungal effects than Australian Tea Tree Oil. Some reports have even suggested that Manuka Oil is 20 times more powerful.
Manuka Oil Uses:
There are a wide variety of Manuka oil uses. It is effective against many skin conditions such as:
- Fungal infections (ringworm, athlete's foot)
- Cuts and Abrasions
- Insect Bites
It can be applied topically using a few drops on cotton wool, or added to a bath.
Other Manuka Oil uses include:
- Aromatherapy - it is said to have a beneficial effect if you are suffering from stress and anxiety.
- Treating sinus problems, respiratory illnesses and allergies - add a few drops of oil to boiling water and inhale the vapors.
- Relieving aching muscles and joints by massaging manuka oils into the affected areas.
- Household cleansing - dilute with water and use as a disinfectant.
Used to support healing by application to minor cuts, burns, insect bites and rashes.
Comvita Manuka Oil assist's the skin's natural immune response to help soothe muscles and joints. Other uses include skin cleansing & treating acne.