Home >> Honey Articles >> All You Need to Know About the Medicinal Benefits of Honey
All You need to Know About the Medicinal Benefits of Honey
Posted June, 2011 by Aliveplushoney
You probably heard as a kid that honey is good for you, and what you were told is true. However, in recent times scientists and researchers have discovered much more about the medicinal benefits of honey. It is now clear that honey has proven medicinal properties. All the more reason for you and your family to enjoy it's taste and increase your well being at the same time!
There are a few things you need to know about the medicinal honey properties so you can choose one that will be effective. Without going into excessive detail, we will cover the main points now.
The Basic Honey Properties You need to Understand
In your quest to get the medicinal benefits of honey, you first need to understand what the different properties are, which honeys have them and which ones don't. Not all honeys were created equal.
Two Key Points about Medicinal Honey Properties:
- Basically all honeys have a very mild antibacterial quality due to the fact they all contain hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide is produced by an enzyme in the honey. Unfortunately, this enzyme is destroyed by heat and light, and this often happens during the manufacturing process.
- A specific type of honey found in New Zealand - Manuka Honey, contains a second antibacterial property in addition to the hydrogen peroxide. This property is much more potent and stable than the hydrogen peroxide. This is what has created all the buzz about the medicinal benefits of honey.
What You Need is UMF Manuka Honey
Okay, so the Manuka Honey has this additional property and it has been given the name UMF. UMF stands for unique manuka factor, and it is a term used to refer to the beneficial property that is found in Manuka honeys and not in others.
So what does this medicinal property do?
The UMF has an antibacterial, antifungal, anti inflammatory and an anti oxidant effect. It has been proven to be effective against numerous ailments, both internal and external and it is great for our overall well being.
It has even been shown to be effective against superbugs such as MRSA that are resistant to all antibiotics.
Don't Get Misled - How to Buy a Truly Medicinal Honey
Now you almost know enough about honey properties to distinguish a potent honey from a so-so one.
When you go to buy, remember to ensure that it is Manuka Honey and that it came from New Zealand. New Zealand is the home of the Manuka tree - its pollen gives the honey its medicinal benefits. (If you are interested, this tree also provides manuka oil which is very effective for a range of ailments too.)
But be careful, not all Manuka honeys are active. To ensure you get the medicinal benefits you need to look closely at the label. You are looking for the UMF number. These range from 5+ up to 25+, and indicate the strength of the honey as an antibacterial.
To get a UMF number, the manufacturer must belong to the Active Manuka Honey Association(AMHA) and they must have their Manuka Honey independently tested and certified before they can say it is UMF Honey.
All you need to do now is decide on a strength. We have a guide on our active manuka honeys page that will help you choose a suitable strength for your purpose.
A list of the Medicinal Benefits of Manuka Honey
- Improves well-being and general digestive health.
- Relieves upsets of the digestive system such as indigestion, upset stomachs, gastric reflux, indigestion, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Offers antibacterial healing of gastritis, stomach ulcers, Helicobacter pylori and Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).
- Heals external wounds, even those with antibiotic resistant bacteria such as MRSA
Great Tasting Good Health - No Side Effects
To sum up, the UMF Manuka honey properties make it a great alternative or complement to medications. If you or someone you know is suffering from the ailments above or you just want to uplift your health with a proven natural product - check out our range of active Manuka Honeys.
If you want the medicinal benefits of honey always make sure its's Manuka, and always make sure it's active!